One estate, one story
The wine history of Château Coujan does not date from today.
Its Gallo-Roman mosaic, its Visigothic chapel as well as its spring water basin bear witness to this.
At the end of the 3rd century, the beginning of the 4th century, it was an important Roman villa. Plots of land were offered to the centurions who undoubtedly planted the first vines there.
The archives attest to the existence of a priory producing its wine in 966.
The farm has belonged to the Guy family since 1868. It will make it prosper thanks to the arrival of railways, the opening of markets and constant re-grape varieties.
Geneviève and François Guy settled there in 1941, in the midst of a dozen horses and then acquired a tractor. Boys and girls who came on foot from Murviel and the surrounding villages, to which were added around fifty Spanish grape pickers, made up the happy team of the estate in the post-war years.
In 1967, François Guy, always keen to improve the vineyard, was the first to plant Merlot. The very first Mourvèdre followed, followed by the birth of the Saint Chinian appellation, which will make it possible to offer quality bottled wines.
It was in 1988 that he passed on this know-how and this heritage to his daughter Florence.
Passionate, Florence takes care of her 55 hectares of vines and converts them to organic cultivation, equips the cellar with modern equipment, creating distinctive and elegant wines which are the hallmark of Château Coujan.
Terroir and biodiversity
Château Coujan has a great advantage: the domain, all in one piece, allows nature to preserve all its natural resources and wildlife to roam freely.
In winter, a flock of sheep comes to graze in the grassy vines.
Many species of birds nest in the surrounding countryside and the very present insects are great aids to culture.
The coral island in the basement allows the soil to drain, and brings great freshness and minerality to the wines of Coujan.
Natural or planted hedges also contribute to biodiversity and guarantee the balance of the ecosystem.
The 55 hectares of vines that surround the buildings and their green setting are now converted to organic farming.
No more weedkillers, pesticides and other chemical fertilizers, herbal treatments allow the vines to resist diseases.